In recognition of depression awareness month, Phi Omicron Zeta Chapter sponsored its first Depression Awareness seminar. The seminar was held on Saturday, October 17, 2015 at Rockdale Medical Center. The presenter was one of the chapter’s own, Soror Tequilla Pittman. She is a licensed clinical social worker, who has practiced in the field of mental health for several years. The seminar was well attended by Sorors, Amicae, Archonettes, Amicettes and the public.
The seminar covered specific types of depression, to include the effects, signs, symptoms and different treatment options. Soror Tequilla Pitman provided interactive tools such as “Depression Bingo” to engage the audience and enable them the opportunity to ask questions. Several individuals shared personal testimonies about loved ones who suffered from depression and one that committed suicide due the seriousness of this illness.
A survey was given at the end and some of the feedback is listed below:
What did you like most about the presentation?
- “It was well put together and made me understand depression way better.”
- “Her music was exciting for the younger crowd and she was entertaining”
- “The signs of depression & that it is hereditary ”
- “She made it easy to understand and also spoke very clearly and efficiently”
- “I like the speaker and she really engaged in our questions”
As this chapter continues to do the work of Zeta, it is their hope to continue to Help Other People Excel.